Stabroek News reporter passes away on medivac
Stabroek News
April 22, 2007

Related Links: Articles on people
Letters Menu Archival Menu

Angela Osborne

Stabroek News reporter Angela Osborne died yesterday on board a medivac flight on her way to Trinidad and Tobago following a brief illness.

She was 29 and leaves behind her two children Jamal and Aaliyah and other relatives.

Osborne who was never without a smile and who was always willing to undertake whatever tasks were assigned to her was the live wire in the Editorial Department of Stabroek News.

Well known in the fashion and design fraternity, Osborne had a creative flair and she pursued this through her 'Style Page', a regular feature in the Sunday Stabroek.

She was also interested in local and international pageants and worked alongside some of the stakeholders in this sector.

Stabroek News Editor Anand Persaud said that Osborne would be sorely missed and her passing was deeply distressing to the staff of the newspaper. He added that Osborne's uproarious laughter and kindness to others will always be remembered.

The Guyana Press Association (GPA) of which Osborne was a member said in a statement yesterday that it was deeply saddened by Osborne's passing.

The association said her death comes at a time when the local media fraternity is in dire need of more young and dedicated persons.

During her years in the media, Osborne also made invaluable contributions to the preservation and recording of Guyana's printed history while working in the library of Stabroek News.

She later joined the Editorial Department where she contributed to the hard news and feature content of the daily and Sunday editions of the newspaper.

Osborne, who was an executive member of both the Bishops' High School Old Students Association and the Stabroek News Cooperative Credit Union Society, was a strong advocate of a vibrant GPA.

Secretary of the Bishops' High School Old Student Association Andrea Bryan yesterday said that without Osborne many of the activities executed by the association would not have been possible. "Personally I am terribly shocked and saddened on hearing the news and I know that the association would miss her greatly."

Bryan said Osborne served on the executive of the association as secretary for three years and at the time of her death she was the Assistant Secretary. Osborne, Bryan said, was responsible for planning most of their activities, making the necessary contacts and also ensured that the events were well executed. "I will remember her as a fun-loving person who was dedicated to her tasks," Bryan said.

She expressed heartfelt sympathy and deep condolences to Osborne's family as well as the management and staff of Stabroek News.

In addition to her two children, Osborne leaves to mourn several siblings and her parents.