Cricket’s governing bodies must do more ...Lloyd backs actions plan
By Ayanjit Sen BBC Sport in Delhi
July 2, 2004
CRICKET'S governing bodies must do more to identify bowlers with suspect actions at an early age, according to former West Indies captain Clive Lloyd.
He believes young players should not reach senior international level if there is any doubt about the legality of their actions.
Lloyd's comments follow the ongoing controversy surrounding Sri Lanka's Muttiah Muralitharan, the most successful bowler in history with 527 wickets.
Muralitharan has been dogged for several years by claims that he throws the ball and his 'doosra' delivery was banned by the International Cricket Council earlier this year.
"One thing which could be done to stop this happening is that the cricket associations of all countries should send videos of their upcoming players to the ICC," he said.
"These players could either be knocking on the door of the Test teams or have potential to make it to that level."
An ICC panel could then study their actions and send comments to the players' respective boards.
"Throwing should be discouraged during the germinating stages of a player's career since it is embarrassing for the country and the game if somebody is caught chucking in international cricket. We have to be vigilant," said Lloyd.
He believes, however, that Muralitharan is fully entitled to be a candidate when the inaugural ICC Awards are announced later this year.
If selected on the basis of his performance, then there is no reason why he should not be considered," Lloyd told the BBC.
Having played 110 Tests and 87 one-day internationals, Lloyd is now a member of the ICC's match refereeing panel.
He is concerned about declining attendances at Test matches and believes action must be taken to reverse the trend.
"We will have to drop ticket prices during Test cricket and this is the only way of inducing crowds to come and watch the five-day game," he said.”