`Death Squad’ witness killing: Murder weapon reportedly found
Guyana Chronicle
July 1, 2004

Related Links: Articles on 'wrong man' death
Letters Menu Archival Menu

THE police probe into the shooting death of self-confessed `Death Squad’ informant, George Bacchus, continued yesterday with unconfirmed reports that a close relative had confessed to the killing after the murder weapon was found not far from where he lived.

Sources said Bacchus was shot in his bed early last Thursday morning with a .38 gun and two close relatives who lived with him at the Princes Street, Georgetown house, were among those held by the special police team assigned to the case.

Sources said the two had emerged as central figures in the probe and there were unconfirmed reports last night that a male relative had confessed to the killing.

Similar reports surfaced earlier this week as the relatives remained under intense grilling by investigators but official sources said no one had confessed to shooting Bacchus as he slept.

Bacchus was shot three times in the head and about the body just before 03:00 hrs Thursday and police had been looking into reports that the gun used in the killing was buried in the yard.

Previous searches there for the weapon were unsuccessful but there were reports last night that the gun had been found.

Questions had arisen around the easy access the killer(s) had to Bacchus in light of his recent concerns, expressed in the media, over his personal safety.

Several ferocious dogs, including a pit bull which Bacchus kept, did not bark at any time during the night of his murder, neighbours said.

A window and main doors to the section of the four-storey house where he was sleeping were also left open, sources said.

Bacchus was the key witness against two men – Ashton King and Shawn Hinds – charged with killing his younger brother Shafeek in a drive-by shooting outside the Princes Street house on January 5 this year.

The two are in jail pending the outcome of a preliminary inquiry into the murder charge against them.

A third man, Mark `Kerzorkee’ Thomas died in the hospital a short while after he was arrested.

After his brother’s murder, George Bacchus went to the media and the United States Embassy with allegations that Minister of Home Affairs, Mr. Ronald Gajraj had started a `Phantom Squad’ that targetted known and dangerous criminals in order to stem the crime wave unleashed after the February 23 jailbreak in 2002.

Gajraj has denied the charges.

At a news conference last Thursday, Commissioner of Police, Mr. Winston Felix said the force was going to follow the investigation wherever it may lead.

He said a high-level special team of investigators had been set up for the probe.