George Bacchus murder
Second relative questioned, premises searched
Stabroek News
June 27, 2004

Related Links: Articles on 'wrong man' death
Letters Menu Archival Menu

Police yesterday held a second close relative of slain death squad whistle-blower George Bacchus.

The relative was taken into custody for questioning in connection with the murder of the self-proclaimed informant, whose home was also searched by detectives who might have had a breakthrough in the investigation.

It is understood that the police carried out their search based on information yielded by the first relative, who was held for questioning shortly after the murder. The second relative, who was held yesterday, was expected to be released some time late last night.

By late afternoon, however, forensic detectives from the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) descended upon the house at Lot 76 Princes Street, Lodge, where they carried out an extensive search.

Yesterday, police spokesman John Sauers would only say that several persons are being questioned and the investigation is moving apace.

He also reaffirmed the pledge made by Police Commissioner Winston Felix, who has said that the police will go in whichever direction the investigation takes them.

Up to Friday, 16 persons, including seven policemen were being questioned in connection with the murder of the man who first made headlines when he disclosed he was an informant for a death squad that was responsible for close to 40 murders.

He said the group carried out its activities with the knowledge of the Home Affairs Minister, Ronald Gajraj, who has maintained that he is innocent of the charges.

A state media worker as well as a policemen related to the suspected hitman, the late Axel Williams, have also been questioned in the investigation. Since his death last December, several persons have linked Williams to the murder of at least ten men.

Reports have indicated that another relative of Williams was also said to have been picked up in neighbouring Suriname and he is to be brought back to Guyana for questioning.

Bacchus was shot and killed in his bed in the second flat of his four-storey house, during the early hours of Thursday morning. He was shot thrice, once in the face, under his right arm and in one of his legs. An autopsy will be done tomorrow.