Shafeek Bacchus murder PI continues amid tighter security
Stabroek News
June 10, 2004

Related Links: Articles on 'wrong man' death
Letters Menu Archival Menu

Persons wait at the gate of the Georgetown Magistrate's Court yesterday until permitted by the police officers to enter the courtyard, as the security level was raised for the Shafeek Bacchus murder PI. (Jules Gibson photo)

Tighter security measures were employed yesterday at the Georgetown Magistrate's Court as authorities tried to thwart any bomb hoax disruptions as in previous weeks. Visitors had to state their reasons for entering the compound at the gate before being permitted inside.

The new measures allowed the continuation of the preliminary inquiry into the murder of cattle farmer Shafeek Bacchus yesterday after two consecutive weeks of interruptions because of bomb scares.

Stabroek News arrived at the court at 9:15 am and met a squad of police officers at the gate. A few persons at the time were being questioned about their business at the court.

This newspaper was later informed that the bomb specialist had already checked the building for explosives. Police were seen at each court gate as part of the heightened security.

Meanwhile, Detective Corporal Cedric Gravesande who is stationed at the La Penitence Police Station and is in charge of the Criminal Investigation Department took the stand to give further evidence in chief before Chief Magistrate Juliet Holder-Allen.

Gravesande testified on May 12 but was excused by Holder-Allen after Prosecutor Simone Morris had requested that he should return at a later date with certain evidence.

The prosecution tendered two exhibits as Morris further examined Gravesande. Attorney-at-law Vic Puran then cross-examined Gravesande before attorney-at-law Compton Richardson examined the detective.

The other witness on the stand was Detective Constable Herbert Henry who is also stationed at the La Penitence Police Station attached to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID).

Morris first examined Henry then he was cross-examined by Puran and Richardson.

The preliminary inquiry will continue next Wednesday.

Henry was the fifth witness to give evidence in chief and six others are expected to testify.

Last Wednesday the preliminary inquiry was interrupted after news of a bomb scare circulated at the courts.

Ashton King and Shawn Hinds were charged on January 16 along with Mark Thomas for the murder of Bacchus on January 5 as he sat outside his Princes Street home.

Thomas called 'Kerzorkee' of Auby's Wine Bar died at the Georgetown Hospital in February under mysterious circumstances.