Relief Council helped 39 families so far this year
May 4, 2004
The Guyana Relief Council (GRC) has rescued 39 families so far for this year.
In a press statement released on Wednesday, the GRC also said when tallied, the 39 families translated to 225 people who were assisted. Nine families, who lost their homes and belongings to fire and when a building collapsed were recent recipients of aid.
They are: Sebastian Smith who has a family of three from the Rupununi; Hassan Bano Bacchus, a family of two from Sophia; Bibi Hazrach Alli, a family of three from Campbellville; Yadonauth Persaud, a family of six from the West Bank; Charlene Mingo, a family of two from New Amsterdam; Andrew Nobrega, a family of one from the West Bank; Shameer Mohamed, a family of five from Wakenaam; Gowan Henry, a family of six from the West Bank; and Claire Haynes, a family of seven from Georgetown whose house collapsed.
The release noted that despite shrinking donor funds the organization continues to help those in need.
The GRC recalled in the release that its temporary shelter was opened in December of 2003 and one person has so far used the facility. The individual was provided with all her basic needs including meals and said that her stay was comfortable.
The release noted that the shelter is available to anyone who is homeless as a result of disaster. The shelter can be contacted at telephone number 223-1568 after working hours and during working hours 225-3081 and 225-2874.
The organization stated that it is pleading with parents and guardians to have their children supervised at all times, keep matches, lighters and any other combustible materials away from them since they may not only cause damage to their homes but may lose their lives.