Presidential Commission on HIV/AIDS established
June 3, 2004
GINA - THE Presidential Commission on HIV/AIDS was formally established yesterday at the Office of the President and will be chaired by President Bharrat Jagdeo.
The Commission includes nine Sector Ministers, representatives of funding agencies and project staff from the Health Sector Development Unit.
Head of the Presidential Secretariat and Cabinet Secretary Dr. Roger Luncheon made this announcement yesterday at the Office of the President.
The Commission will operate through its Technical Support Unit and provide funding for NGOs, registered to work in HIV/AIDS, and support and coordinate inter-ministerial involvement.
Dr. Luncheon said the Commission will support and supervise the implementation of the National Strategic Plan for HIV/AIDS 2002 - 2006
The Commission will continue efforts to mobilise for Ministers and the Government, the HIV/AIDS programme.
Below is a list of the representatives on the Presidential Commission:
* His Excellency President Bharrat Jagdeo - Chair
* Dr. Roger Luncheon, Head Presidential Secretariat - Alternate Chair
* Dr. Leslie Ramsammy, Minister of Health - Alternate Chair
* Dr. Henry Jeffrey, Minister of Education
* Ms. Gail Teixeira, Minister of Culture, Youth and Sports
* Dr. Dale Bisnauth, Minister of Labour, Human Services and Social Security
* Ms. Carolyn Rodrigues, Minister of Amerindian Affairs
* Mr. Sasenarine Kowlessar, Minister of Finance
* Mr. Manzoor Nadir, Minister of Tourism, Industry and Commerce
* Mr. Doodnauth Singh. Minister of Legal Affairs
* Dr. Mike Sarhan - USAID
* Representative - World Bank
* Dr. Bernadette Theodore Gandi - PAHO/WHO
* Representative - UNICEF
* Representative - Expanded UN HIV/AIDS Thematic Group
* Representative - Thematic Group on Health (Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper)
* Executive Director of the Health Sector Development Unit.
* Any other person that the President may invite.
In the absence of the President, Dr. Roger Luncheon will assume the Chair and in the 'unlikely event' that both the President and Dr. Luncheon are absent, then the Minister of Health will serve as the Alternate Chair.