Girl hacked by jealous ex
-says over 20 reports had been made to police about threats By Iana Seales
Stabroek News
March 9, 2004

Related Links: Articles on domestic violence
Letters Menu Archival Menu

Hours before International Women's Day, Alana DeNobrega was almost hacked to death by a jealous ex-lover. The attack on Sunday came after numerous reports to local police.

DeNobrega, 19, of Success, East Coast Demerara survived the murderous attack on Sunday afternoon but lost one of her fingers. The assailant is now in hiding.

Nursing wounds to the left leg, hands and head at a city hospital, the young mother of two who received close to twenty chop wounds has only one regret; ever meeting her ex-boyfriend in the first place.

The 19-year-old ex-boyfriend was reportedly living in the lower flat of the home where DeNobrega lives with her family.

She recalled she was on her way to a nearby shop with her daughter and a friend when the boy approached her.

Declaring that he was going to end her life, he dealt her a blow to the head with the cutlass. Releasing her child, DeNobrega fell to the ground and started begging for her life.

But the youth kept hacking away as she lay on the road vowing to continue chopping until she was dead.

Her younger brother forced the attacker to flee and she was taken to the hospital for emergency surgery.

Prior to the incident her attacker had attempted to kill her with the same cutlass. DeNobrega recalled that she was at her gate when the boy appeared out of nowhere.

He then fired several blows in her direction but she managed to flee indoors and escaped that attack. She said that together with her relatives they had made over 20 reports to the police about her ex-boyfriend.

Living most of her days in fear, was no picnic she said and recalled he had threatened to end her life on countless occasions.

When questioned as to why she never approached his parents about his violent behaviour she said his own family was plagued with abuse.

The boy's mother served a prison term for killing his father and after her recent release he mercilessly beat her to avenge his father's death.

The boy also beat his stepfather when the man attempted to intervene leaving him with a broken arm.

Though reports were made to the police, the boy was never taken into custody.

DeNobrega said she had known him for some time but decided to date him over a year ago. According to her, months of emotional and physical abuse led to the relationship being terminated.

This did not go down well and he threatened to kill her if she did not give him a second chance. The endless threats forced DeNobrega to flee to Suriname.

Only four days after returning, the boy saw her and went berserk, threatening to kill her.

Now that he is on the run she hopes the authorities find him soon. She says the time has come to see the matter through and she is prepared to go to court.

DeNobrega's mother, Elizabeth said she was on her veranda when the boy started chopping her daughter like a piece of meat.

The mother said that she has received information that the boy is hiding out in a nearby cane field.