Man in custody, second suspect still on the lam
February 19, 2004
|Related Links:||Articles on crime|
|Letters Menu||Archival Menu|
A man implicated in the murder of Buxtonian, Mervin 'Skittle' Archer is still on the run, according to a reliable source on the East Coast.
But the police are still holding another man who turned himself in on Monday accompanied by a relative after he was cited as the prime suspect by police following Archer's killing.
Contacted yesterday, Superintendent of Police David Ramnarine confirmed that a Foulis, East Coast Demerara man turned himself in at the Cove and John Police Station on Monday morning. He said the man was in custody assisting police in their investigations.
The man was reported as saying he was in Cayenne, French Guiana when Archer was killed on the night of February 7.
He claimed that he visited the country without a passport and returned last week Friday. The police had claimed that Archer's killer fled to Cayenne.
However, a source on the East Coast told this newspaper that another suspect in Archer's killing was hiding out in a village on the East Coast.
Stabroek News had reported earlier based upon information supplied by sources in Buxton and police contacts that Archer was alleged to have been part of several minibus robberies in Buxton and other crimes.
Archer moved out from Buxton three months ago following threats by criminals.
Around 9.30 on the night of February 7 a lone gunman exited a minibus which Archer was about to enter and shot him two times. The man then fled the scene through Casareep Road, Haslington. Archer was buried on Sunday.