National cricket team manager Legall critical in NY hospital by Orin Davidson in New York
Stabroek News
January 14, 2004

Related Links: Articles on cricket
Letters Menu Archival Menu

It was supposed to be a holiday, but it went terribly wrong for former national cricketer Pat Legall.

The ex-Guyana medium-fast bowler and national team manager, who left Guyana six weeks ago, yesterday collapsed and is facing his biggest battle to date in hospital where he remained unconscious up to press time.

His sister Irma Legall told Stabroek News, Legall was taken by ambulance to Kings County hospital following complications from prostate cancer.

"They are not even taking visitors right now because his condition is too serious," Ms Legall explained.

She said her brother took ill during the course of the day at her home where he was staying. After complaining of feeling unwell and being unable to eat, he was taken to the nearest hospital in Brooklyn where he was admitted, unconscious.

"Up to now I have not heard anything from them (doctors) for today but I am keeping my fingers crossed," his sister stated.

Legall had flown to New York from Florida where he was expected to spend the remainder of his time in America.

Prior to his hospitalization, Legall's sister said he was taking treatment from Belleuve hospital in Manhattan.

He reportedly had two surgeries in Guyana for the ailment and his work with the Guyana team was affected last year.

According to reports, the former bowler, was taken off duties as manager of the Guyana Under-19 team during the TCL series staged at home.

He last managed the Guyana senior team last year when they reached the semifinals of the Carib Beer series.

Ms. Legall said cricket dominated her brother's life and remembers his debut for Guyana when she said at the tender age of 17 years old, he got a wicket with his first ball at Bourda.

Legal was unable to break into the West Indies team because of island politics, she disclosed.

The rightarm fast-medium bowler, who will be 70 years old next month, eventually played 11 first-class games and took 27 wickets at an average of 29.59.