Police rescue abducted Critchlow student returned, safe
--- father commends quick response police
by Michel Outridge
Guyana Chronicle
February 28, 2004

Related Links: Articles on crime
Letters Menu Archival Menu

THE Critchlow Labour College student who was abducted by three men as she left classes on Thursday night is back home.

Narissa Persaud was reunited with her family after police ranks, who acted promptly on reports that she had been forcibly taken away by the unidentified men, carried out a successful search-and-rescue mission.

The quick-response ranks intercepted the getaway motorcar with the abductors and the victim at North Ruimveldt on Thursday night during a confrontation. The three abductors exited the motorcar and fled on foot during a shootout with the police.

The girl's father, Amatuck Trading Company proprietor, Jhaman Persaud, 50, says he can't think of any reason why the three men abducted his only daughter on Thursday night after she had exited the compound of her school.

The father of three said yesterday that he still could not understand why the abductors chose to take his Narissa. He said he was a very honest businessman who has been in business since 1992.

"I would normally go to pick her up after school at 7.00 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays but that night classes were over before the scheduled time and she was already taken by the men," said the father.

"I learned of the incident after overhearing the students discussing it; I did not know it was my daughter.

"I am happy she is safe and was brought back and I must commend the ranks who were very instrumental in foiling the abduction," he said.

Persaud was found bound and gagged in the back seat of the motorcar bearing number plate PHH 5428.

She was snatched about 18:50 hours Thursday at the Woolford Avenue location by three men, who discharged two rounds in the air.

The police yesterday said that they are investigating the incident.

Shortly after Persaud was rescued by the police she was taken to the police station where she gave a statement and was taken home.

She was still in a state of shock yesterday but was said to be coping.