Police awaiting instructions from Government Pathologist
Container with Thomas’ body parts still in Forensic Laboratory
Guyana Chronicle
February 8, 2004

Related Links: Articles on 'wrong man' death
Letters Menu Archival Menu

The Guyana Police Force is yet to receive instructions from the Government Pathologist on how it should proceed with respect to shipping overseas a container bearing body parts of Mark Thomas called `Kezorkee’.

Thomas, who was one of three men charged with the murder of Princes Street cattle farmer, Shaffie Bacchus on January 5, died suddenly at the Georgetown Public Hospital last Sunday.

A post-mortem examination conducted on his body was inconclusive and an overseas forensic investigation of Thomas’ stomach and other body parts was recommended. The container was lodged at the Police Forensic Laboratory for storage.

The Force said yesterday in a press release that although it has written to the pathologist, it has not received any communication.

“The container and its contents are still at the Police Forensic Laboratory. The Guyana Police Force Administration has not received any instruction on the way forward, from the Government pathologist who performed the autopsy. This is so despite diligent efforts,” the release said.

The Force’s release referred to the “subtle controversy” surrounding the autopsy and reports on a television newscast which said that the Police turned up at the Cheddi Jagan International Airport Thursday morning and prevented the container from being flown to Miami.

“This statement is completely erroneous as nothing of this nature transpired. At no time did the container and its contents leave the Police Forensic Laboratory after being brought there from the autopsy, for storage.

“The insinuations on the newscast were clearly intended to malign the Guyana Police Force. The newscast gave the distinct impression that the Force Administration seems to want to engage in sinister activities.

“We recall that at the news of Kerzorkee’s death, persons with ulterior motives immediately began to peddle speculation, some of which attempted to convey the impression that the Police may have had a role to play.

“The Guyana Police Force Administration wishes to reiterate that in the circumstances of such a death, it is not an abnormal procedure for the Police to take possession of the contents as directed by the Government Pathologist.

“We are still making effort to contact him. He is the competent authority to deal with such a matter,” the release said.

Thomas was laid to rest Friday after a funeral service at the A&D Funeral Home owned by Ashton King who is also charged with Bacchus’ murder. The third person charged is Shawn Hinds.