Carmichael Street shooting victim was former teacher By Edlyn Benfield
Stabroek News
November 21, 2003

Related Links: Articles on violence
Letters Menu Archival Menu

The man, who police shot and killed in Carmichael Street on Wednesday, and who they said was a suspect in a break and enter and larceny report, has been identified as Ryan Lyken-Kingston.

A post-mortem is expected to be performed on the body of 27-year-old Kingston, formerly of 3674 North Ruimveldt, Georgetown, today.

A Police Public Relations Office press release had said investigations into the shooting incident which resulted in Kingston's death had been launched. The release had said that Kingston was fatally shot around 12:05 pm, at the corner of Middle and Carmichael streets, while police were making inquiries into the aforementioned felony report.

But eyewitnesses' accounts of what had transpired had varied from the information provided in the release.

In an interview with Stabroek News yesterday, the dead man's mother, Danielette Kingston, said the police had told her they found two jerseys and a bottle of coconut oil in the bag her son was carrying when he was killed.

Mrs Kingston, a seamstress, said this disclosure was made to her by one of two men who identified himself and his colleague as ranks from the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the Guyana Police Force.

Another relative said Kingston visited her home in Berbice on Sunday and had left for home during the wee hours of Monday morning carrying the bottle of coconut oil with him.

Kingston's mother said her son had never been in trouble with the law and had once worked as a teacher but had taken up farming after he suffered a nervous breakdown some time ago.

His illness had been characterised by involuntary mood swings during which Kingston tended to become withdrawn and said very little, his mother related. "He use to get into these moods often and withdraw to himself but at other times, he would smile with you."

It was shortly after 5 pm on Wednesday that Mrs Kingston learned of her second child's untimely demise. She told this newspaper she had just returned home after doing some shopping in the city when she heard a car horn tooting outside her residence.

"I was preparing to change into [some comfortable clothing] then I hear like a vehicle outside blowing and when I check I see a white car with two men," Mrs Kingston recounted.

She said one of the men, both of whom were dressed in civilian clothing, got out of the car and asked her whether she was the mother of Ryan Lyken also called Ryan Kingston.

After she had responded in the affirmative, he proceeded to identify himself and the other man as CID ranks before informing her of how and where her son had been killed.

"I was so shocked, I immediately began to feel uneasy," the grieving woman said.

This newspaper understands that later that evening, accompanied by a neighbour and a police officer, Mrs Kingston identified the body of her son at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation morgue. "...I recognise[d] him by his head and the clothes he was wearing."

She said that in keeping with the instructions of the CID rank who had broken the bad news, she went to the Brickdam police station yesterday and gave a statement.

Family members lamented the manner in which Kingston, who leaves to mourn his parents and two siblings, was killed.

Eyewitnesses to the shooting had told Stabroek News the policeman had first shot Kingston and later identified himself after a crowd began to gather. They said Kingston had been walking north along Carmichael Street, when a white Toyota Corolla, PHH 6607, occupied by three men in civilian clothing stopped ahead of him. The policeman who shot Kingston had emerged from the car, approached him and had asked to search the bag he was carrying. But Kingston proceeded to punch the rank who then pulled out a gun and fired at least two shots.

Kingston collapsed on the ground and after people began to gather, the policemen lifted his motionless body and placed him along with the bag in the car before heading to the GPHC.

The police press release said he was pronounced dead on arrival at the GPHC.

Meanwhile, Kingston's mother has expressed concern regarding the whereabouts of certain important personal documents including his passport and bank card, which she said, he usually kept on his person.

There has been no additional information from the police about the incident and further attempts to contact Assistant Superintendent, David Ramnarine proved futile.