T/dad U-23’s turn tables on locals
By Michael DaSilva
Stabroek News
November 3 , 2003

Related Links: Articles on football
Letters Menu Archival Menu

Trinidad and Tobago under-23 footballers came from behind to turn the tables on their Guyanese counterparts yesterday at the Blairmont Community Centre ground with a 2-1 victory over the locals.

Nigel Daniels and Michael Celestiwe found the back of the locals’ net in the 55th and 81st minutes while Elton Brown opened the scoring for Guyana in the 42nd minute.

Playing in ideal conditions in front a full house, Brown received a through pass and slotted the ball past Trinidad’s custodian Kevin Graham.

Trailing 0-1 at the interval, the Trini’s came out looking more purposeful than the Guyanese in the second session and leveled the score from a free kick that was taken by Daniels approximately 23 metres out. Daniels swerved the ball around a five-man wall. The ball kept low from the time it left Daniels’ boot and beat Guyana’s custodian Fidel Smith on his left side.

At this stage the locals who defeated their guests 2-1 on Friday at the GCC ground, started to quarrel among themselves and have only themselves to blame for the defeat.

Trinidad took advantage of the situation and made several raids on the locals’ goal area with Daniels virtually playing unmarked for most of the session.

They were finally rewarded nine minutes from full time when the ball was played from the left flank to Daniels in the penalty box. The play drew Smith to the left side and Daniels passed off the ball to Celestiwe who clinically placed high to the right hand corner of the goal while Smith was still on the left side.

With a 2-1 lead, the visitors started to play a more defensive game but attacked in spurts.

Prior to the Trinidadians scoring their second goal, the locals were guilty of not supporting.

The ball was passed from the left wing to Sherwin Cadogan on the right side. Cadogan took control and advanced to the opposition’s goal, squared the ball across the goal past Graham, but there was no one supporting on the left side and the ball went into touch.

Two minutes later Cadogan was replaced because of an injured left shoulder.

Sixty minutes into the game, Guyana secured a free kick, the shot was taken by Travis Waterton from approximately 40 yards out. The ball sailed in the air and dipped suddenly just missing it’s target by a fraction.

After the game, Guyana’s Technical Director Neider dos Santos said he is still proud of his team’s performance..”Even Brazil loses at times,” dos Santos stated.

The Brazilian expert admitted that the locals are far smaller in stature than the Trinidadians.

It was evident however that Gregory `Jackie Chan’ Richardson’s absence was heavily felt.

Richardson was red carded on Friday for using indecent language to the referee when the two teams first met.

Guyana will play Costa Rica on November 16 in a second round game of the 2004 Olympic Qualifier.