Government moves to stem red ink at Chronicle
November 2, 2003
|Related Links:||Articles on media|
|Letters Menu||Archival Menu|
The state-owned Guyana National Newspapers Ltd (GNNL) is moving to stem losses in its newspaper operations after recording a $19.04 million loss last year.
Liaison Officer to the President, Robert Persaud, said that government had mandated the board of directors to implement measures to stem the decline and return the entity to viability.
According to Persaud, the government was not satisfied with the performance of the publisher of the Guyana Chronicle and Sunday Chronicle newspapers, and has stressed urgency in arresting the decline.
It is hoped that this would be done in line with the total revamp of the state media currently underway to see greater technological improvements being brought to bear. Moves are already afoot to bring the necessary improvements through the revamping of some structures as advised in a review of the newspaper’s operations, Persaud said.
Meanwhile the Guyana Broadcasting Corporation (GBC) and the Guyana Television Broadcasting Company (GTV) are currently being prepared for merger and as a consequence all staff are to be let go by January 2004.
The merger will see radio and television transmission being carried out from one location identified as the Homestretch Avenue GTV studios.