Police: Prisoner didn’t die from cop assault

Guyana Chronicle
July 15, 2003

Related Links: Articles on police
Letters Menu Archival Menu

The Guyana Police Force has expressed concern about statements being peddled by ill-advised persons following the death of Harrichnand Mahase and has declared that the deceased was not assaulted by members of the Guyana Police Force.

According to a press release issued yesterday, the police stated, “We refer to an alleged incident that occurred at the Georgetown Prison between Sunday July 6 and Monday y 7, 2003, which resulted in the death of Harrichnand Mahase an inmate of that Institution.”

The release said, that the Guyana Police Force would wish to clear the air on issues pertaining to the matter and on statements emanating from ill-advised persons via the electronic and print media.

“The GSPCA instituted charges on June 30, 2003 under Section 176 (a) of the Summary Jurisdiction (Offences) Act, Chapter 8:02 for cruelly ill treating a certain animal, to wit a female donkey by unreasonably working the said animal in an unfit manner on Friday 27th April, 2003, on Sheriff Street Campbelville.

The deceased was not attending Court and a warrant was issued for his arrest. He was subsequently arrested by Authorities attached to the GSPCA who are empowered to take such action, and taken to the Georgetown Magistrate’s Court on July 04, 2003. He was placed on $20,000 bail and his matter was postponed to July 23, 2003.

The defendant apparently could not have posted his bail and as such was taken to the competent authorities”.

The Police declared that it was then and only then, that the Police had any direct involvement in this matter and would like to make it clear that the insinuations emanating from ill advised persons via the media and electronic media who want to give the impression that the deceased was assaulted by ranks of the Guyana Police Force are of concern.

“The deceased was at no time assaulted by members of the Guyana Police Force” Police declared.

We have since launched an investigation into the death of the prisoner and this investigation is continuing, the release concluded.