Man wanted in connection with shooting of cop's daughter still at large

Stabroek News
May 26, 2003

Related Links: Articles on violence
Letters Menu Archival Menu

The man who police had issued a wanted bulletin for in connection with the shooting of a policeman's daughter, was not the person arrested last week during a joint army/police exercise in Buxton.

Public Relations Officer, Assistant Superintendent, David Ramnarine, clarified on Friday that contrary to what had been reported in Kaieteur News 19-year-old Donovan Hyles was not arrested.

It was reported that one of the men who was apprehended by the law enforcement officers, was actually the youth the police were seeking. But Ramnarine said that the police have had no such report. The man is still in custody pending investigations.

Meanwhile, a number of the persons who were apprehended during the raids have been placed before the courts, others have been released on station bail and some are still in custody.

Ramnarine said that the three persons who were arrested two Fridays ago when Gary Anthony Smith was shot and killed by the police have been released. Two are on station bail and the juvenile was released.

Deon Gordon, who was shot by members of an army patrol and later found in possession of a quantity of marijuana, has appeared in court charged with trafficking in narcotics and was released on $45,000 bail.

Contrary to earlier reports in this newspaper his arm was not amputated. But Ramnarine said that it was because of his medical condition that he was granted bail and he was now in the hospital and might very well lose the arm.

Out of the seven other persons arrested on the same day, three were charged with unlawful possession; Charles Brown, the brother of prison escapee, Shawn Brown, was charged with trafficking in narcotics and the two other persons were subsequently released.

The seventh person was released on station bail pending investigations.

The two women who were arrested during the raids were also released on station bail.

An army source also said that while wanted man Mark Phillips called `Big Batty' was wearing camouflage clothing at the time of his death it was not of the type that was worn by army ranks nor did it have any serial number.

Site Meter