Policeman killed in Buxton
Had tendered resignation out of fear By Samantha Alleyne
Stabroek News
February 4, 2003

Related Links: Articles on police
Letters Menu Archival Menu

A young police constable who had recently tendered his resignation out of fear for his life was shot dead yesterday morning in Buxton.

Constable Ronald Abel, who was reportedly last attached to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) at Brickdam, received several gunshot wounds as he was making his way out of the village.

He was the 19th policeman killed since last year’s crime wave began and the targeting of law enforcers by gunmen started.

A police press release said that Abel aged 25 of 170 South Vryheid’s Lust, received gunshot wounds to the head and right shoulder. The police said after Abel was shot, he collapsed and was picked up and rushed to the hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

However, when Stabroek News arrived on the scene some three hours after the shooting, the body was still at the corner of Company Road and Ogle Street.

Abel was lying face up with his arms outstretched and was dressed in blue jeans, a white t-shirt and brown slippers.

An army patrol was parked next to the body and residents in the area were seen passing by paying little or no attention to it.

His parents, Barbara and Desmond Able, said that because of the attacks on the police they had urged their son to resign.

He had heeded their warnings and submitted his resignation on January 26 but according to them it had not been accepted by the force.

They last saw their son on Sunday evening when he left to visit the mother of one of his three children at Lot 63 Friendship.

His child’s mother, Letta Robert, said Abel spent the night at her home and left yesterday morning with her mother.

Robert said shortly after they left she heard several shots and later was told he had been killed.

The police release said that while Abel was walking north along Middle Walk Road one of five men approached him and his mother-in- law and pointed out the constable as a policeman.

The man then shot the officer, who ran west along Ogle Street in a bid to escape but was pursued and fatally shot.

Robert said she was told that a man walked up to Abel and pumped bullets into him before escaping.

The police release said that the man had tendered his resignation two weeks ago while stationed at the Beterverwagting Police Station and, “had since ceased to perform duties as a policeman, as he absconded and no approval was given relative to his termination of service.”

He was also stationed at the Vigilance Police Station at one time and joined the force on April 11, 2000.

The commissioner and ranks of the force expressed sincere condolences to the family and friends of the late constable.

Abel has left three children to mourn: Nku, two-years-old, Shinilla and five-month-old Tyrese.

On Sunday night, another policeman, Constable Gary Williams, narrowly escaped death when four men fired at him as he was walking on Croal Street.

He managed to flee to safety. Also yesterday, Constable Deon Joseph who was shot dead last Thursday in Sophia was laid to rest.

Site Meter