‘Missing’ East Bank woman found dead
Man held
Stabroek News
January 21, 2003

Related Links: Articles on crime
Letters Menu Archival Menu

Police are probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a woman whose body was discovered in a decomposed state last Saturday at the New Housing Scheme at Diamond, East Bank Demerara.

The woman, 34-year-old Seeta Boodram of 161 First Street, Herstelling, EBD, had gone missing from her home since early December last year.

A man, who the deceased woman’s family believes to be responsible for her death, has since been taken into police custody as they work to complete their investigations.

According to the woman’s sister Anjanie Boodram, who occupies the upper flat of the house at Herstelling, she last saw the deceased woman on the morning of Friday, December 6th.

She had left to go to work at her workplace at Friendship, EBD, but never returned.

One week after the woman’s disappearance, a report was made at the Providence Police Station and the man was subsequently taken into police custody for questioning. He was, however, later released.

After her family had given up hope of ever seeing the missing woman again it was only last Saturday that police made contact.

The sister said while she was yet to see the corpse, police visited and showed her a pair of slippers and a pair of underwear which she positively identified as having been her sister’s property.

She added that following the discovery, the man was again taken into police custody and this was confirmed yesterday by a police spokesman.

Ajodhia Persaud, Boodram’s brother, told Stabroek News that the couple had been together for some time during which the man would frequently abuse his sister.

On being questioned after the woman’s disappearance last year, Persaud said the man claimed that he had taken her to the Cheddi Jagan International Airport, Timehri where she illegally left the country.

Upon further prodding by the family he could not recall what she had been wearing at the time.

Persaud, however, contended that an eyewitness placed both his sister and her husband at Diamond on December 6th - the day she was last seen.

He said that the man had requested $10,000 of his sister to facilitate his travel to Venezuela. She did not give in to his demands for the money. (Andre Haynes)

Site Meter