World Cup 2007 not in question
… says Chris Dehring

Guyana Chronicle
June 8, 2003

Related Links: Articles on World Cup 2007
Letters Menu Archival Menu

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, (WICB): Chris Dehring, the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Windies World Cup 2007, has flatly denied that the Cricket World Cup 2007 to be hosted in the West Indies was in question because of the proposal of the Australian Cricketers’ Association (ACA) to radically change One-Day cricket.

Dehring was responding to an article in the Weekend Nation in Barbados on June 6 under the headline "No World Cup?"

Dehring said that the television rights and sponsorship for the CWC 2007 had already been sold so there was no chance of the competition being scrapped.

"This is just a proposal from the players’ association in Australia; it has not even been accepted by the Australian Cricket Board (ACB), far less the International Cricket Council (ICC) and it would not have been intended to take effect until after 2007," Dehring said.

"No one contacted me, our WICB Directors, or our public relations firm to get the facts.

Dehring concluded: "It is very disappointing that a misleading story like this would be published at a time when we are trying to get all Caribbean people on board to host a successful World Cup."

Site Meter