Violent incidents reported during Douglas funeral
Guyana Chronicle
August 31, 2002

Related Links: Articles on crime
Letters Menu Archival Menu

ANDREW Douglas, one of the five dangerous February 23rd prison escapees linked to several killings, violent robberies, kidnappings and car hijackings over the past six months, was buried yesterday afternoon in Buxton, East Coast Demerara.

Police said there were several violent incidents during the funeral, including stoning of vehicles and a reported robbery.

At one point Police said they had to use teargas to disperse a crowd stoning vehicles passing through the area.

A Guyana flag was on the casket on the fugitive who was found shot dead in an abandoned car on a road at Farm, East Bank Demerara, last Monday morning.

A release issued by the Police said ranks were last night escorting vehicles through the troubled Buxton area.

The release said:
** at 15:25 hrs a Police vehicle was pelted resulting in damage to the windshield

** 15:30 hrs - a Canter truck owned by a civilian was pelted with bottles.

** 17:50 hrs - a civilian vehicle was pelted with bottles causing the driver to abandon the vehicle on the Buxton public road.

** 18:15 hrs - the Police were forced to lay teargas smoke in order to disperse a crowd which was pelting vehicles on Company Road, Buxton.

Police said they also fired shotgun pellets to disperse a crowd that was also pelting vehicles at Friendship junction, near Buxton.

Police said they were investigating a report that two small boys were allegedly robbed at gunpoint about 17:30 hrs of $700 and $200, respectively, at Annandale North.

Douglas' body with gunshot wounds was found in a stolen motor car which bore a false licence plate, PEE 2929. The vehicle is, however, registered as PHH 6034 and was stolen on August 18 from a private citizen on Barr Street, Kitty, Georgetown, Police said.

Douglas and four other dangerous criminals who are still at large - Dale Moore, Shawn Brown, Mark Fraser and Troy Dick - staged a daring daylight escape from the Georgetown Prisons on February 23, killing a male Prison Officer and seriously injuring a female officer in the well-executed jailbreak.

Since their escape, the five have been linked to a series of daring and violent robberies in which several persons were killed and wounded.

Police said they have also been involved in a series of carjackings, kidnapping and internal terrorism.

After his escape, Douglas appeared on a video tape, which was broadcast on some TV stations, in which he was dressed in Army camouflage clothes and was holding an AK-47 rifle. Among other things, he claimed to be a "freedom fighter".

At the time of his escape from the Georgetown Prison, Douglas was on remand after being charged with a series of murders and robberies under arms.

Douglas, also known as `Tod Dexter' and `Fisherman', was committed to be tried in the High Court for several murders, including those of Jermine Brower, Vishnu Narine, Brian Nelson, Ewart Hutson and Mubarak Khan.

He appeared before then Acting Chief Magistrate Paul Fung-A-Fat, on March 11, 2000, one week after he was extradited from neighbouring Suriname.

Police said he was also implicated in a raid on Didco Trading Company Limited and a brazen early morning attack on the National Insurance Scheme (NIS) headquarters in Georgetown.