Uneasy quiet pervades home
Stabroek News
May 12, 2002

Related Links: Articles on the police
Letters Menu Archival Menu

An uneasy quiet has returned to the Princes Street residence where police on Friday shot a businessman in the bedroom of his home during what was said to have been a confrontation.

Police were seen on several occasions yesterday traversing the street outside the Wortmanville house where Wesley Hendricks called `Little Mate' was shot, but they have not stopped at the premises.

Police on Friday allegedly threatened to arrest the reputed wife of Hendricks, Sharon Lindor, who was at the residence at the time of the shooting and who was restrained in a back room as ranks pushed the deceased into a front bedroom where he was said to have been shot.

They had told the woman that they would return to detain her in connection with the weapons, which they said they found in the front bedroom of the home after carrying out a search. The composed but still shaken woman was at a lost as to reason for Hendricks' killing. She insisted that he was not a deportee as claimed by the police.

Their eight-year-old daughter, she said, was so traumatised by the entire episode that she has refused to enter the top flat of the Princes Street home.

Several persons, some expressing shock visited the home to express their sympathies to relatives as they attempted to come to grips with the events of Friday.

Meanwhile, Lindor expressed fear of the likelihood of police returning to the home. She showed this newspaper abrasions on her knees and elbows, made from being forced to lie on the floor of the rear bedroom with a gun pointed at her head while being urged to be quiet or risk being shot.

Since Hendricks' death, family members including Lindor have been refused access to his body, which is being kept in the morgue at the Georgetown Public Hospital. He was pronounced dead at the facility. According to the woman, personnel at that facility told them that orders had been received that no one should be allowed to view the body.

Police had stated in a release on Friday, that they had gone to the Lot 42 Princes Street house after having received information that one of the Mash day prison escapees and two others were there. Once there, they entered the house and while attempting to open a locked bedroom heard a shot ring out and returned fire fatally wounding Hendricks.

Several weapons, including an AK 47, which was said to have been found in the hands of the deceased, along with several rounds of ammunition, were said to have been recovered from a wardrobe in the home. Relatives have denied this, pointing to a lack of evidence of heavy shooting in the home.