Accused further remanded, as villagers protest outside court
Stabroek News
November 7, 2001

"No justice no peace. No bail for Junior McKenzie," were the chants of dozens of angry Anns Grove residents who turned out in their numbers to witness the manslaughter accused appear for the second time at the Cove and John Magistrates' Court yesterday charged with fatally shooting Sonia Jerrick known as 'Chooks' on October 23.

McKenzie, 19, of 173 Melanie Damishana, who is being represented by attorneys-at-law Basil Williams and Nigel Niles was further remanded to prison by Magistrate Maxwell Edwards. He will return next Tuesday for reports.

Yesterday the police prosecutor told the court that he was considering asking for a state prosecutor to be appointed deal with the case. But Williams said that in the interest of time he should prosecute the case, knowing the unavailability of state prosecutors.

Edwards, in response to a bail application made by Williams told the court that he would be proceeding on leave shortly and the likelihood of bail being granted to the defendant would depend heavily on what happens Tuesday.

Yesterday distraught Anns Grove residents with placards stood guard at the Cove and John Police station, waiting patiently for the arrival of McKenzie. When the defendant arrived police officers were summoned to the scene as the protestors blocked the bus and shouted "murderer."

On October 23, Jerrick's body was discovered near a village bridge. She had a gunshot wound to her nose and a bruise to her face.

The Director of Public Prosecution, who instituted the charge submitted that the only evidence in relation to the circumstances which led to the shooting came from the defendant. And in the light of the case and the absence of any evidence of hostility between the defendant and the deceased, the defendant was to be charged with manslaughter under Section 94 of the Criminal Law Offences Act Chapter 8:01.

Besides, the DPP stated, that the two other officers who were implicated, knew what happened but failed to report the matter, which clearly showed that they were liabilities to the force and should be placed on departmental charges.