Carter Center statement untrue and misleading
March 23, 2001
I refer to an article captioned "Jagdeo, Hoyte commit to inclusive government, dialogue" (Stabroek News, March 22, 2001). The article attributed to a press release from the Carter Center, went on to say, "Both leaders and their associates approved the text and pledged to implement its provisions as expeditiously as possible."
I wish to advise that the Carter press statement is untrue and misleading. I am not aware of any "accord" brokered by Mr Carter, as alleged in another newspaper. I have not been in communication with Mr Jagdeo or agreed to anything with him or Mr Carter.
Mr Carter, at his request, met with me at Congress Place on the morning of Wednesday March 21. Present with me was Mr Robert Corbin, our Party Chairman.
Mr Carter presented me with a document, which I was seeing for the first time, and suggested that I signed it. I declined to do so.
It was clear that Mr Jagdeo had already seen the document because Mr Carter said that the latter had proffered a minor amendment to it.
This document, in essence, reiterated recommendations of the Constitution Reform Commission which had already been approved by a Parliamentary Select Com-mittee, the parliamentary Task Forces and the Oversight Committee. Legislation had already been drafted to implement these reforms, prior to the dissolution of the last Parliament, but the PPP regime, acting in bad faith, did not present it for passage in the House.
I am not concerned with merits or demerits of the contents of the document under reference, but strongly resent any allegation I am a party to any "accord" with Mr Jagdeo and Mr Carter about anything.
This whole affair smacks at an attempt of manipulation. I resent this and I am not amused.
Our report was based on a press release from the Carter Center which said that "both leaders and their associates approved the text and pledged to implement its provisions as expeditiously as possible."