Accused gave written confession
- witness

Stabroek News
September 16, 2000

Trenton Allicock, one of the three defendants in the car-chase cocaine bust trial not only admitted he had drugs, he gave a written confession, a witness told a court yesterday.

Lakeram Rajkumar, Cus-toms Officer attached to the Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU) testified on the confession when the trial of Albert Vaughn, Allicock and Morris Darr continued before Chief Magistrate, Paul Fung-A-Fat.

The trio was charged following a chase sprinkled with gunshots through several city streets on August 11. About 10 pounds of cocaine was reportedly unearthed following that bust.

Rajkumar said that he and other CANU officers went to Access Road, Industrial Site following instructions from Oral Stoby (another CANU officer). He said when he got there he was instructed to look for a dark green Pathfinder with registration number PFF 1539. According to him, when CANU members saw the vehicle they attempted to stop it but Vaughn just slowed, made a slight turn so he would not hit them and drove away. He said these actions almost caused a collision with CANU's mini-bus.

Going over the route the chase took, he recalled that at Cemetery Road he saw a pistol pointing in the direction of the vehicle he was in. Just as he became afraid, he said, he heard a round shattering the pathfinder's back windscreen.

The officer swore that after that round was discharged the Pathfinder started going faster. He opined that the only reason it stopped was because there was a build-up of traffic at the East La Penitence Police Station. At this point, Rajkumar testified, Stoby jumped out of CANU's vehicle and ran to the Pathfinder.

He said shortly after that he heard two shots. He and Matthew Lyttle (another CANU officer) then came out of their vehicle and went to the Pathfinder. He said after Lyttle retrieved the black bag that allegedly contained the cocaine Allicock began to make a confession about the ownership of the drugs.

The witness said the men and the booty were taken back to CANU headquarters where Allicock decided to make his written confession before Errol Fraser (CANU officer) with him as a witness. He recalled that Allicock spoke and Fraser wrote.

Under cross-examination, Rajkumar said he never saw Jeremy Mbozi (another CANU officer) at the Access Road but he did see Stoby using his communication equipment. To his best recollection, Lyttle never drew his firearm.

He said Stoby pointed his firearm at Vaughn which managed to keep Allicock under control, therefore, it was not necessary for him to use his.

James Leung, the fourth witness to take the stand, also continued his sworn statement yesterday.

The trial continues on Monday.

Follow the goings-on in Guyana
in Guyana Today