10 compete for Miss Bartica Regatta title
April 16, 2000
WITH a touch of elegance and added theatre, this year's Miss Bartica Regatta Pageant promises to make its millennium debut both unforgettable and entertaining.
Organiser of the pageant, Ms Monica Trotz, during an interview with the Chronicle said that contestants are being trained for runway modelling which she hopes will improve the standard of the Pageant.
Vying for the crown are ten ravishing beauties hailing from both Georgetown and Bartica.
Following are the profiles of the ten contestants:
* Standing five feet, seven inches, 20-year-old Andrea Sampson's dream is to become a Pilot one day while managing the catwalk as a super model on the side.
This Giddings Payday Pawn Shop beauty weighs 110 pounds with statistics 33:25:37 and is the eldest of four children.
Sampson said that she entered the contest because of its high standards and someone close to her advised her to `go for it.'
Andrea works as a reservation agent. She enjoys singing and listening to music in her spare time and hopes to impress the judges with her platform: `Prevention of HIV/AIDS'.
"I am focusing on this topic because HIV/AIDS cases are increasing in Guyana and also the Caribbean and persons, especially youths, need to be educated about these deadly diseases," Sampson related.
Asked if this is her first contest, Sampson said that she competed in other pageants in the past, but always wanted to be a part of the Regatta contest.
Her role model is actress Julia Roberts and her advice to everyone is `prevention is better than cure'.
* This versatile 18-year-old plans to donate half of her prize money to a charitable organisation if she walks away with the crown on April 22.
Born under the Aquarius sign, Camille Faria stands five feet, eight inches tall and weighs 120 pounds with vital statistics 35:28:36.
Once a singer with the Majestics band, Camille also taught Arabic to children. She is now studying Spanish at the Language Centre.
Faria, determined to become a Flight Attendant, admires the late Princess Diana and spends her spare time reading, singing, interacting and doing voluntary work.
`The power of service', is what this beauty plans to win the judges' hearts with and advises youths never to give up, and render assistance where it is needed because you might be on the receiving end one of these days.
* Eighteen-year-old Allison Bremner resides in Bartica and plans to do every thing in her power to promote tourism in her community if she becomes the next Regatta Queen.
The five feet, six inches beauty weighs 135 pounds with vital statistics of 36:28:41. She hopes to become an Accountant one day.
Bremner said Bartica has the potential to become one of Guyana's most sought-after tourism locations and she plans to work along with other tourism organisations around the country to achieve that goal if she becomes the queen.
This confident young lady is a Teacher and advises young people to be themselves and work hard in order to achieve their goals.
Bremner also wished other contestants good luck.
* Deomattie Vidi Singh of Mahaicony finds pleasure in modelling, reading, corresponding and sports especially cricket.
This five feet, four inches Accounts Clerk was born on December 7, 1978. Her vital statistics are 33:25.5:37. She weighs 99 pounds.
Miss `Shyan Guptar Enterprise' is the youngest of five siblings and is moved by the number of young women performing abortion.
Abortion, she feels destroys the lives of pretty young girls both physically and mentally.
"I want to be a part of that force that will educate them of its negative effects," the bright-eyed girl stressed.
This ambitious young lady looks up to her boss and sees herself working as a Certified Accountant five years from now. Her dream is to become the next Miss Regatta.
* Eighteen-year-old Denise Jourdain said she entered the pageant because she loves modelling and has dreams of becoming Miss Regatta.
This 18-year-old weighs 120 pounds and stands five feet, four inches tall. She enjoys modelling, singing, dancing and corresponding.
Jourdain is studying at the Dental School and hopes to practise dentistry one day.
"Save guard yourself against sexually transmitted diseases especially HIV/AIDS. Commonsense is the key to knowing things as they are and doing them as they ought to be done", is her advice to society.
* Miss Rayon House of Fashion, Rhonda Daniels is the shortest contestant vying for the crown, but she sees her height as unique and not as a disadvantage.
This hairdresser was born on August 27, 1981, and is five feet tall. She weighs 100 pounds and loves dancing, singing and poetry.
She looks up to her grandparents and wants to become a Lawyer one day. She advises young people to study hard because education is the key to success.
* Sonia Angoy, a 17-year-old Computer World student, enjoys singing, dancing and riding and is longing to be a Certified Accountant.
This cheerful five feet, eleven inches charmer was born on November 19, 1982, and weighs 130 pounds with statistics 34:25:39.
Angoy's platform is `The impact of AIDS on youth' and she advises young people to `take it easy because the future depends on you'.
* Her role model is singer/actress Whitney Houston. Misty Harmon is her name and her platform is literacy. This 23-year-old Librarian was born on May 29, 1976, and hopes to become a professional Librarian.
She said she chose her platform because her job exposes her to persons who may know how to read, but may find it difficult understanding what they read.
* Natoya Speede is also from Bartica and advises everyone to be good to themselves and look to God for everything because he is willing to help.
Speede was born on December 3, 1980, and is five feet, five inches tall, weighing 120 pounds. She enjoys modelling and drama. Her platform is `The plight of single parent households'.
Her dream is to become a Professional Model someday. Speede's vital statistics are 32:26:38.
* Dawn Caramena Joseph hopes to become a successful Businesswoman in the clothing industry and hopes to woo the judges' heart by stressing the need for youths to develop themselves in order to secure a good future.
Joseph is five feet, three inches tall, weighing 110 pounds with vital statistics 32:24:36. She looks up to her mother and enjoys singing, playing soccer and sewing.